What I've Written About

Monday, May 17, 2010

And the Winner Is...

Thanks to all who participated in the RECESS SUCKS contest. I had a hard time deciding whose story was the most horrific, or just plain funny. Every one had me laughing or gasping, alternately, which is a good thing. However, one stood out to me. Not only because it was well written, but because it was written by an actual kid, still in school. I know, GASP, who would have thought!

The winner is TRYSTAN K.

Here is an exerpt from that story:

I gripped the 2 handles. I clenched my teeth and got ready to run on it, a feat I had never before accomplished. I took a few running steps and was surprised at how incredibly fast the tube was spinning. Not knowing that if I went faster, the tube would also, I sped up. It went faster. So did I. Apparently I was clueless when it came to what happened. I couldn’t understand that faster equals faster. So I ran and ran and ran and sped up. Then, tired and wanting to take a break, I stopped running and let go of the handles. Unfortunately the speedy motion of my legs pushing the wheel was still going so I flew 3 feet in the air and landed with my face smacking into the woodchips. Now, woodchips aren’t soft as cotton. No, they’re sharp and rough and seriously hurt when you get a mouthful of them. Compare ultra-pain at the playground to learning how to add in the classroom. I would prefer the latter. Crying for 10 minutes is not the funnest thing to do. . .
I have had more experiences including falling off a pole, almost breaking my arms by twisting them around on the monkey bars, tripping off a “rock” tower, and many other things. In contrast in class with the teacher you can do far funner and less painful things. Once in my class we made triangle designs and named them. No one knew they were learning because of they were having so much fun. I DON’T SEE WHY ANYONE WOULD LIKE RECESS AFTER HAVING TO ENDURE MY HORRIFIC, PAIN INFLICTING EXPERIENCES. CLASSTIME RULES, RECESS SUCKS.

Well said Trystan! I totally agree. If you were in my class, you would get an A+ in writing for the rest of the year. To redeem your prize, simply email me your address at rightwomenwrite@gmail.com and I will send you the gift certificate.

CONGRATULATIONS!

4 comments:

Jo Schaffer said...

HAHA! Awesome!

Kristina P. said...

This is great! I can see why she won.

Unknown said...

haha

The Urban Cowboy said...

Ouch! Sounds painful, yet it made me laugh. Great story.