What I've Written About

Thursday, September 23, 2010

A is for Ascot

This is my first participation in Alphabe-Thursday. And I have to say I am a little bit nervous, because for some reason the only "A" word I could think of had something to do with the word that starts with an 'A' and is related to the word 'butt'.

I knew I couldn't write an entire blog post about an a**, so it took a little bit of brainstorming. I didn't want to do apple or aardvark or acrimonious. And then it hit me.



SCOOBY


DOOBY


DOO.


And more importantly, my favorite character on said show. "FRED."


See, I spent most of my childhood pretending, living, wishing, I could be a part of the Scooby Doo cartoon. I would rush home from school every day so I wouldn't miss a moment of Shaggy's exclamations of "Zoicks", or Velma's ponderings over "My glasses. Where are my glasses?" or Daphne's style, or Scooby's cries of "Raggy! HELP!"


But most of all there was "FRED."


In my young mind, Fred looked a lot like Bo Duke (from the Duke's of Hazzard). Both were blond, buff, and clever. There was some portion of my mind that understood age though. I knew Bo Duke was WAY older than me. Like in his twenties or something. But FRED was a high school kid. Not that old. (Too bad my mind didn't think in terms of reality. Like the fact that Fred is a drawing...and Bo Duke was real live person.)


If you think about it, Fred held the whole Scooby gang together. If it weren't for him, they never would have split into groups allowing Scooby and Shaggy to run into the bad guy, Daphne to get kidnapped, or Velma to lose her glasses. It was also ALWAYS Fred's idea to set a trap and capture the bad guys. True, Shag and Scoob always messed it up and ultimately caught the person wearing the mask, but Fred was the one who started that action.


What can I say?


I had a CRUSH on a cartoon character.


Now I am grown-up. And I married a guy who is tall and blond. (surprise, surprise). Every Halloween I have tried to talk my husband into dressing up as Fred. But he won't do it.


And I won't tell him.


That I want him to dress up like Fred because...


I think Fred is sexy.


(Picture me blushing right about here)


So to me...


A IS FOR ASCOT.


The defining characteristic of Fred. And the one item on clothing I wish my husband would wear.

:-D


Want to Alphbe-Thursday next week? Prepare for the letter B.


Wanna read some of the fabulous 'A' entries?


18 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That's hilarious! What a funny word to pick. I also had a crush on Fred.

Susan Anderson said...

What a great debut. Welcome!

=)

Gabe said...

I would guess that if you told your husband that you thought an ascot was sexy he would wear one!!!

My kids love Scooby Doo!! Of course they like the "new" ones but I prefer the oldies!

Thanks for stopping by.

Gabe said...

ok I am stalking you now. . .

I just went down and read your 15 years of marriage post and so relate. . .I am always amazed at women who say they are married to their best friends. .. not that I don't love my hubby, but wow "best friends". . .its better and worse than best friends if you know what I mean:)

Carrie Medford said...

I actually could write a whole post about the A word that has to do with a butt, but I didnt because I thought I was the only one who would come up with that assinine idea and didnt want to appear too crazy. :) Thanks for making me feel better! ROFL
Loved your post!

mle said...

Ascots {and Fred} are awesome! : )
I loved running home from school to watch Scooby Doo! Great post

Stef said...

Heehee. I love it! Fred was hot. And he was never scared. Wow! Great A word...

Unknown said...

Welcome to Alphabe-Thursday! This post had me giggling so much. It's too bad that the screen time that Fred gets is a lot less than Scooby Doo and Shaggy.

Unknown said...

gotta love that ascot.....zoinkies.....

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Such a cute post. I use to watch Scooby Doo, too.

NatureGirl said...

I had a little thing for Luke Duke. Oh, and the Professor from Gilligan's island... ya, I know...who didn't? I cannot get my Hunky Hubby to dress as ANYthing for Halloween, but keep trying.

Oh, and Han Solo...

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

I always liked the blondies too, but ended up with a dark haired frenchman.
Dana

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

haha!! (I mean...I totally respect your crush :o)

Hey...now that you mentioned it...Fred does kinda remind me of Bo Duke. (My hubby and I were able to go to Disney World with our son (he was 2007 Georgia's Children Miracle Network child Ambassador) & got to pose with co-founder's "Bo Duke" aka John Schneider and Marie Osmond :o) I'll have to post about that on one of the Alphabe-Thursday posts...

Anywhooo...thank you so much for stopping by! I am happy you enjoy the art I do...and you are too sweet to say that I dont look old enough to be the mom of our girls :o) ....come back and feel free to mention that any time...my many grey/white hairs appreciate it :o)

Blessings & Aloha!

A wonderful first post! Ms. Jenny's Alphabe-Thursday meme is awesome! It helps me to stay motivated to at least get one post up each week!

Brenda said...

I know I am much older than you but I also watched Scooby, but on Saturday morning cartoons. I am stopping by for Alphabe-Thursday and have been checking out some of your older post. Have you published your book yet? I have not found anywhere that says you have or the title. I know you say you are mostly reading children and youth books right now but hubs and I just listened to an awesome book on CD while on our road trip last weekend. Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier.

Tina said...

haha fred was my favourite too. I dont think it could of ever been shaggy! scooby doo would have been in with a better chance lol

Jo Schaffer said...

Haha! Fred is HAWT. I always thought he should smooch Daphne.
The ascot was soooo...odd. Haha!

Amanda Lee said...

What a cute post about Fred! I think lots of us can really relate.

Jenny said...

Margie. Hi! Welcome to Alphabe-Thursday. I love your profile. And I admire your courage in just putting it out there for the world.

Is there a link to some of your novel on your blog? I looked but couldn't find it!

And now, to the business at hand.

What a fun stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday. I liked your style of writing and the whole 'crush' on Fred just made me smile.

Thanks for linking.

A